Rolly, I have several rifles that are used for LR work. The lightest is a Rem LSS with a 28" Hart barrel w/brake
<br>it weighs in at 11.17 lbs and is chambered in 300WBY short thoat. We use this rifle when we are going to Pack into a secluded spot sometimes a mile or so from the nearest road. I use the 178 grn Horn. AMAX with a charge of 86grn of H1000 and a Fed 215 primer. This rifle will consistantly shoot half inch 5 shot groups at 100yrds we have successfully taken targets out to 1025 yrds with this rifle. I also carry this rifle in the woods and if a longer shot presents itself I have the capability to take the shot with complete confidence. This particular rifle is topped with a 4.5x14 Leupold 50mm obj. I sent it to premier and had an external elev. adj. turrent put on. Also included in the arsenal is a 14lb 30Hart benchrest rifle a 20lb 338-378 wby mag. and a 65lb 338-378wby mag. that I just had built and have not had a chance to use it on any Long Targets. With the later 3 rifles we use the Sierra Match King Bullets 220grn 30 cal. and 300grn 338 cal. In our hunting we usually use "bigeyes" as some would call them, they consist of two bushnell spacemaster spotting scopes mounted in a aluminum bracket. Most guys who use them run the 22xwa eyepiece I personally use the 25x eyepiece. As for rangefinders We usually have at least two 1000yrd bushnell lasers mounted on and colimated with our bigeyes so if we find a target we can instantly get a range make adj to the rifle/scope and have the target neutralized in a matter of seconds that is if the target cooperates. We also take and use a barr/stroud WWII optical rangefinder for a backup. Most of the time if you have a sunny day you have to resort to the optical rangefinder because the lasers just wont work on a sunny day at extended ranges. This slows the process down a little but the end results are the same. That is if the target cooperates. What I mean by cooperate is STAND STILL we Never shoot at a moving target. Long range is a team sport and should never be attempted without a SPOTTER with experience, This is a process that take a great deal of practice by all of your TEAM. The spotter calls the shots in the bigeyes by watching the trail or wash of the bullet all the way to impact then and only then do you make adj if need be. I hope I have answered some of your questions. We are in the process of filming a How To video on long range hunting. I'll keep you informed with its progress for those who might be interested. Thank You for your interest.