I saw the fireworks coming from a mile off so thought I'd read this thread and see where it was headed. I surely wasn't disappointed! [Linked Image] Been a long time since Sonnie got his panties in a knot this tight! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>While I agree most shooters should definitely have a self imposed limit of 250 yards or so (some much shorter), I don't have a real difficulty with a PRACTICED, DISCIPLINED, PROPERLY EQUIPPED hunter taking much longer shots as long as the follow up is undertaken at all times. From what I am reading of the LRH posts, I would have no problem with his methodologies or ethics.
<br>What I don't understand is this- as a group, we are pretty prepared to accept some pretty fantastic results which are verifiable for benchrest shooters, long range competitors, and across the course shooters. Of course, this relates to shooting targets and not living animals. But I just don't understand the reluctance to transfer this skill over to hunting when it can be proven that it can and does happen on a consistent basis with the best shooters. With the proper mindset, practice, equipment and preparation, at the moment of truth in all respects, a game animal is just another target. If you shoot for center of bull every time and accomplish that, what does it matter if it is paper or game?
<br>The most accurate statement made in this whole thread is that many more people miss at under 100 yards than practiced long range hunters miss at much longer ranges. I believe most of this is due to the fact that most game shot at longer ranges are not nearly as spooked or nervous, so are much less likely to be moving at the shot or be spooked after the shot is taken, allowing for a second shot. I've actually had this happen a couple of times. In my experience, most game shot at long ranges just lays down and dies fairly close to where it is shot.
<br>OK, let the fireworks continue [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.