Hi,Darrel I'm glad you decided to post as you have more knowledge than just about anyone in this.
<br>
<br>Thank you to those that have welcomed us LR guys here.
<br>For those that say that we are defending ourselves,where not.This thread started because someone said it couldn't or shouldent be done.All we(Boyd,DC,myself and others)are trying to do is explain that it can be done, quit easily FOR US.
<br>Now I'm going to setup a situation for you to see how I would do it.
<br>
<br>Well start off with equipment first.
<br>Rem. M700 300Ultra mag.
<br>Leupold 6.5-20LR
<br>220gr MK's at 2820fps.
<br>Laser range finder
<br>Plam PDA with ballistic program
<br>Spotting scope
<br>Watch that gives me the ENV and MET conditions
<br>AND MY SPOTTER THE MOST IMPORTANT THING
<br>
<br>Say we spot a deer,the first thing we will do is make sure there is no orange(hunters)any where near the target.Then I take a range reading, while me spotter gets the MET/ENV conditions and puts them in the computer.He gives me the MOA comeups and the wind call.After that he puts his eye in the spotting scope and never takes it off the deer again.When he says to fire I shoot as soon I am steady.He watches the trace ALL THE WAY TO THE ANIMAL,and if I miss or wound,not likely,he gives me the MOA corrections.Something you need to understand is the animals do not react like they would if shot up close 400yds or so in.When shot even if they are wounded THEY ALWAYS LAY DOWN.They not run off like you think, they stay very close to where you hit them.
<br>I go for one shot hits,but that is pretty hard without a lot of trigger time,and training.Most serieus LR hunters use the spotter methed for shots over 1000yds.
<br>
<br>For anybody that thinks Boyd, DC and myself are trying to brag,your sorely mistaken.We have absalutly no reason to brag.We all know what we are capable of,and like DC said he hasn't even told you what ranges he's able to consistantly kill deer.Try 2000yds plus.
<br>The ones that have answered here know there stuff and can back it up.We practice all the time.I practice consantly,last year my spotter and I shot over 17,000 rounds.This year where on pace to shoot 25,000.
<br>
<br>This seems like a good site with mostly good people.And for someone that truely wants to know how its done and not just have prejustice,I invite you to come to www.longrangehunting.com.But we rule it with an iron hand and will not accept any name calling,calling someone a liar,or people Qestioning the ethics of it.Its soley a place to learn without anybody badgering you.
<br>