Hello
<br>
<br>I'm back at the fire with another pack of hot Dogs this morning and Hello to all.
<br>
<br>I see some of you are still wondering and maybe confused as to what and how we do what we do.
<br>
<br>Let me answer the questions that three of you have asked.
<br>
<br>*******************************************
<br>
<br>BIG STICK----The rifle is a 338/416 Rigby IMP with a 37" barrel. The velocity I get from a 300 Gr Sierra MK with a BC of close to (Actual) .800 is 3310 FPS
<br>At 1000 yards I have a remaining velocity of 2188 FPS and a terminal energy of 3190 FP.
<br>At 2000 yards I have a remaining velocity of 1284 FPS (Below1000 to 1100 FPS goes subsonic) and energy of 1099 FP---Plenty to kill an animal at that range.
<br>
<br>******************************************
<br>
<br>NEED ONE---Nobody said we are "HOLDING" the rifle as you would your 8 lb carry gun. Some are shot from bi-pods and some are shot from rests.
<br>Some of the ranges we shoot, we would NEVER try to hold a rifle and to try for a first round hit on the first shot. That would be a mistake and we may possibly hit a doe or cow that is standing close to our intended target. Our Longrange group will not shoot does or cows. We won't kill what produces the Bulls and Bucks for the future. It's not that we haven't in the past, it's just that we don't do it at all, any longer.
<br>
<br>Our procedure is to make sure there are NO hunters anywhere near the animal. We then range the animal with our military laser rangefinders. The MOST powerful and accurate you can get.
<br>For extremely long shots, We set the elevation clicks just HIGH enough so the bullet will go over top of the animal. This is to get our windage adjustment when we see the bullet go in and impact over top and behind the animal. This is where we have seen the animal go over to the impact and stick his nose in the hole wondering what it was that made that little noise. After that shot and the windage adjustment is put in and the excess elevation is taken back off, the next shot drops the animal.
<br> Sometimes we take a spotter shot at a small object such as the base of a dead tree stump or clump of dirt. From that shot we are able to do all our corrections of windage and final elevation. We swing back to the animal and kill it with the next shot.
<br>
<br>As stated earlier, the animals are not alarmed because the noise level is very faint to them from the muzzle blast. Unlike the short range shooter that shoots at 50 or 100 yards. The noise scares the hell out of them and they will take off even mortilly wounded.
<br>
<br>Seal answered somebody's question here when he explained that a wounded animal does not react the same when hit LR as up close. When we hit them, they just lay down, they don't run. They are not alarmed.
<br>When we see an animal that may be alive and has just laid down from being hit, (which they do almost always within 5 yards of being hit) the next shot is into him within about 10 seconds. We don't let an animal suffer and he does NOT get away from us.
<br>This is unlike the short range shooter that has to track a wounded animal all over the place and can't find him till hours have passed and it just may lay there suffering for a long time before it dies.
<br>So a point in our favor, we don't let them suffer when they are hit.
<br>By the way, with our powerful Bigeyes, we can see the bullet hits into the hide and that's a fact.
<br>Again, you must see this done to possibly believe it.
<br>You can buy the tape that Boyd mentioned and see actual LR kills to 1150 yards. It would be the BEST $20.00 or $25.00 you ever spent and answer most all your questions.
<br>
<br>As I also stated, we are here to help the young or old shooter/hunter every way we can to make sure we can suggest the correct equipment he must have and to help him undersatnd the ballistics of bullet flight and to make the scope corrections that are so critical to making a Longrange kill. This is of course, "IF" he is interested in LR hunting.
<br>
<br>*******************************************
<br>
<br>DON KNOWS---Here are the Match dates for 2002 at Williamsport.
<br>The light guns, 16 1/2 Lb shoot on Saturday and the Heavy bench guns on Sunday.
<br>Match # 1. May 4th and 5th
<br> 2. May 18th and 19th
<br> 3. June 8th and 9th
<br> 4. June 22 and 23
<br> 5. July 20 and 21
<br> 6. Aug. 3 and 4
<br> 7. Aug. 17 and 18
<br> 8. Sept. 7 and 8
<br> 9. Sept. 21 and 22
<br> 10. Oct. 12 and 13
<br>
<br>World Open two day event with over 300 shooters each day from all over the World, with two classes of rifles each day, will be "JULY 6 and 7"
<br>Most certanly bring a rifle and shoot. in a match. Someone will be happy to get you on target.
<br>
<br>Hope to see you there.
<br>
<br>*****************************************
<br>
<br>I just ate more hot dogs "For Breakfast"??? yukkkk
<br>
<br>Hope that answered some of your questions fellows. In reality, you have to see the LR way done but, watch out, it is very addictive. Get ready to open up that wallet
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>