Saddlesore
<br>
<br>Now that I have brought my folding chair over to the fire and a pack of hot dogs, let me clear something up for you.
<br>
<br>I'm 61 years old and have hunted all ways there are to hunt and take game. I have certainly taken my share and then some in all styles of hunting and in several States.
<br>
<br>I'm in Pennsylvania and have not missed a buck season in 40 years now. I still climb up in my tree stand and bow hunt, sometimes grab my muzzle loader and take it for a walk. I also take my factory carry rifle and take a walk in the mountains of PA, WV and Colorado when I'm hunting for deer and elk.
<br>This is usually done only to stretch my legs and take a break from glassing the far mountains with our large binoculars (Bigeyes) while my LR friends and I are Longrange hunting.
<br>
<br>In between times my wife, who also hunts with me, and I are at ALL the 1000 yard matches at Williamsport where we have not missed a 1000 yard match since 1987 and are officers in the club.
<br> You might say we are not the 3 day a year hunter who still has 4 or 5 rounds in his one box of shells he bought 5 years ago.
<br>
<br>We (my LR friends and I) also go woodchuck hunting and kill at ranges you would not believe. This is to prepare us for the big game season ahead. So you see we do a lot of practicing.
<br>
<br>My favorite way of hunting is to Longrange and extreme longrange hunt for deer and elk. Again, you would not believe how far my LR hunting friends and I have killed game and NOT LOST ANY to date.
<br> This is due to the equipment we have and the practice we do to know how to use it. For instance, Our laser rangefinders are military units and you can't buy any commercial unit that comes close to doing what these things will do. We know within 5 seconds how far that animal is.
<br>
<br>Our equipment is the best we can find and our practice using such, continues all year. When we go after game, we are well prepared and know what the bullets are capable of at the yardages we shoot.
<br>We NEVER shoot at a running animal and when we do shoot it is well thought out before hand.
<br>
<br>For those of you who don't understand it, you probably have never seen it done correctly. It may NEVER be your cup of tea but, that's alright too.
<br>Sort of, you hunt your way and we will hunt ours because both ways are legal in every State.
<br>
<br>I am NOT trying to convince anybody that they should LR hunt. I am also not trying to justify Longrange hunting to anyone. I don't have to. We just want you to know that it (LR Hunting) is getting very popular and we will be glad to answer questions from the newbies coming into it, to help them out.
<br>You can't walk into your gunshop and carry out a 300 RUM Sendaro with a Mark 4 or Leupold LR 8 1/2X to 25 X scope on it and call yourself a LR hunter. It takes YEARS of practice to be proficient at it. We are only promoting safety and the effective way of placing a bullet downrange.
<br>
<br>We, the dedicated longrange hunters know what we can do and what shots we can take of can't take. We have been doing it for Many years now and I will do it till I can't sign my license any longer..
<br>
<br>For someone to say we are lazy is a pure untruth. Our work really starts when the animal goes down. We have to go down the mountain we shot from and climb the mountain the game is laying on, then cut it up and pack it out.
<br>
<br>We are not saying your way of hunting is wrong and who are you or anyone else to say our way is wrong?
<br>
<br>Is there a right and wrong in killing anything with a bow or rifle other then quickly? If so, show me that in a game law or State stature involving the taking of game.
<br>
<br>We (LR Hunters) are the safest hunters in the world. No one has EVER been hurt, wounded or killed by a LR hunter. The short range shooters (i'm also one of those) can't say that.
<br>We know where every piece of orange is on the far mountains by the use of our optical bigeyes and we will never put a shot anywhere near another hunter. No game animal that ever walked is worth that.
<br>
<br>So to sum this up, some of us hunt or have hunted and taken game ALL ways and know what the difference is between the various styles of hunting. Until a person experiances the LR way, he will never know what it's like.
<br>
<br>Again, we don't have to justify what we do to anyone.
<br>We are just stating facts.
<br>Dead is dead no matter what the range is as long as you are comfortable with the shot. You should know your limitations at all times.
<br>
<br>If anyone would like to email me concerning LR shooting or hunting, the address is --DCasselaol.com
<br>
<br>Thanks for having me around your fire again tonight. I just filled up on Hot dogs.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel