Darrel,
<br>
<br>I have copied your post and put it here so as to keep the thread continuous.
<br>
<br>Blaine
<br>*********************************
<br>
<br>
<br>Hello Boyd and Sealsniper
<br>
<br>How's things going over here?
<br>
<br>You seem to have some Non-believers or the usual "unethical" comments being said.
<br>
<br>Maybe I can shed some light on what I have read from other posters.
<br>
<br>Being probably the elder person around the fire tonight and on this forum, I can assure you that what Boyd speaks is VERY true and is being done more and more every year. You don't have to agree with it but, it is still a part of the hunting sport and becoming VERY popular.
<br>
<br>The problem with most old time or short range hunters as we call them, is that, they are set in their ways, and are NOT open minded to change.
<br>
<br>When I was intruduced to Longrange hunting in Cameron County PA many, many years ago, (Have not missed a buck season in 41 Years now) I was open minded and wanted to learn everything I could from the fellows I knew that had done this for so long. I tagged along and got a real education.
<br>Up to that point, I had hunted and killed game all ways and I still do, even bow hunting in my tree stand.
<br>
<br>After a trip or two with those LR boys I was hooked. Now I prefer longrange hunting to any type I have ever done in the past and have been VERY successful at it over the years.
<br>
<br>At 62 I can still climb the mountains quite well to retreive my game either in PA, West Virginia or Colorado where we LONGRANGE hunt and have for the last 13 years running, for elk and Mule deer. We kill at extended range on elk also and yes, we use MK bullets because we want the MOST accuracy and high ballsitic coefficient bullets we can get. By the way, they do open on game quite well at longrange.
<br>
<br>I won't even begin to tell you how far we have killed game because some of you won't even believe Boyds kills and he is relativly new to the sport. I am an old timer at it now and have killed a lot further then Boyd has to date. He will get to the longer yardages but, that takes time. I had the pleasure of meeting Boyd last year at Williamsport. He and Butch Keen came to my place in Driftwood just 2 or 3 weeks ago for a tour of our longrange area and my shooting area where we can stretch the bullet out to 3000 yards from my property.
<br>
<br>Anyone whot thinks we don't have the equipment to kill at extended range can think again. Our equipment list totals about $10,000.00 to $12,000.00 worth of needed items to make sure we do it right. By the time you invest in a Military laser Rangefinder $3000.00, a rifle that cost from 4 to 6 thousand dollars a good set of bigeyes (normally military ship binoculars) and all the other items needed, your wallet is empty for a while.
<br>
<br>We are not the 3 day a year hunter that grabs his rifle from the closet and goes hunting for 2 or 3 days and calls this hunting. We shoot all spring, and summer in 1000 yard matches at Williamsport ( My wife and I have missed only two matches in 14 years) and we also shoot woodchucks longrange all summer getting ready for big game. The animals are not targets to us, they are the same thing as they are to the short range shooter. A GAME ANIMAL. Our goal is to kill as quickly as possible as we all should strive for.
<br>
<br>A question was asked about energy at 1000 yards, lets go to 2000 yards to answer that.
<br>With my 338/416 Rigby IMP and a 300 gr SIERRA MK bullet coming out of my 37" barrel at 3310 FPS, I still have at 1000 yards --2101 FPS velocity and 2942 FPS of energy left. That's more energy by far then the 30/06 has with a 180 gr bullet at the end of the muzzle.
<br>At 2000 yards I still have 1266 FPS and 1068 FP of energy. Thats more then the 30/30 has at 100 yards.
<br>
<br>We hunt in teams of at least two and we have NEVER lost an animal yet in all these years..
<br>
<br>Gene Williams you were right on with your explanation concerning the RELAXED animal who never even heard a shot. When an animal is hit (lets say the middle of the rib cage) by a short range shooter, the animal hears the muzzle blast which in turn, turns on the adrenalin and he will run for ever because he has just had the hell scared out of him. When we hit that same animal in the same area, he NEVER heard a thing and will just lay down and die on the spot. They respond totally different and that's what the short shooter can't seem to understand.
<br>
<br>If anyone is still in doubt, think of all the arms companys that have tooled up to sell LR rifles such as the Sendaro, Larado, Sako Inter-continental and others. The longrange way is here and if we can help the new shooter/hunter to do it correctly, we will surely try.
<br>It's not for everyone but it sure is getting popular.
<br>
<br>If there are still any doubts get hold of Butch Keen at --Keenvisionvideosuscom.net--.
<br>Boyd has his phone number i'm sure. Butch has made a truly fine Longrange video that is 1 hour long. It shows the actual vapor trail of the bullet right into the animal and many one shot kills on deer in PA and West Virginia. I think his longest shot on the video is 1350 Yards. The tape is $20.00 or $25.00 and to those that doubt what we do, look at the tape and watch how it's done and then you may just get a better understanding.
<br>
<br>
<br>Pass the hot dogs please, the fire is about right for roasting now.
<br>
<br>Darryl Cassel
<br>PR and Information Officer
<br>The Original PA 1000 Yard Benchrest Club
<br>
<br>
<br>