7mm,
<br>
<br>I have been staying out of this one for a long time, and don't intend to get caught up in the melee. My feeling is that if you can make a killing shot take it. If that means that you can kill deer at 2000 yards with a muzzleloader, more power to you. If you have any doubts, get closer before you shoot. Seems simple enough to me, but I guess it isn't based upon the ruckus that this topic has raised!
<br>
<br>Now, my real point - guys in PA and their long range shots. My dad, as some may know, is a gunsmith in Westmoreland County. We have guys in and out of the shop all of the time with tales of their long shots. Most of them cant tell 150 yards from 1000 yards. We have several landmarks around the shop that we have checked with a laser rangefinder (50 - 1500 yards). We even had them verified by a surveyor that is a customer. With this information in hand, we often ask customers to estimate the ranges to some of the landmarks. You would be amazed the answers that we get from some guys when we ask them to estimate how far away some of these landmarks are. There is one telephone pole that is almost exactly 400 yards. One guys that ALWAYS kills deer at 700 and 800 "yards", estimated that the 400 yard pole was actually at 900 yards. My point being, most guys can't tell 50 yards from 500. These guys shouldn't be hunting AT ALL IMHO. They are dangerous at 10 yards! Could it be that your coworker falls into this category?
<br>
<br>FWIW, the guys that shoot competitively (ie - shoot a lot and know their guns and loads) answer with far greater accuracy than those that have had the same box of ammo for the past ten years. No surprise there I guess.
<br>
<br>Stush

Stush