Here is the problem I have with advocating long range hunting. Many people see what the few can do well and decide "if they can do it, I can do it too". I have seen several hunters who tried shots well beyond their range because of what they read or heard or saw someone else do. Watching a deer running with its jaw blown off at 900 yards is not fun. It's almost impossible to shoot a running deer at that distance. Most hunters who try these shots(when they are not capable of making them) will spend little time tracking that wounded deer. It could easily be a mile away by the time they get to where it was shot. The responsable hunters who follow up their game know their limits(whatever they may be) and don't push them.
<br>
<br>Now, is this the fault of those who can shoot long range? Usually no. But there are those who don't get satisfaction of their long range hunting unless they tell hundreds of people what they can do(like they are special). These are the ones I have a problem with. I can hit a deer at longe range as well as most. I choose not to. If you choose to, fine. But don't act like your special because you do. Be responsible about telling of these great feats. Warn those newcomers of the many pitfalls. Tell them strait out how much time it takes to learn and stay competent in long range shooting. Advise them to not even try it if they are not deadly serious about doing it. Its much like the saying in College. Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. In my experiences, those who have tried to convince me of their abilities(in anything) the most, usually had the least. If they were really that good, they wouldn't have spent so much time trying to convince me of something they knew to be true.
<br>
<br>Longe range hunting is often compared to military sniping. It couldn't be farther from the truth. In the military, many times wounding is a greater factor than outright killing. This is not the case in hunting. The goal should be the most humane kill no matter what the game no matter what the weapon. It would be nice if everyone knew their limit and stuck to it. The problem is there are too many idiots out there. What can be done about that? That is the real problem.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.