This might help with perspective on the "wounding/losing " objection to long- let's call it ultra long- range hunting:
<br>
<br>My partner just returned Sunday from three weeks of guiding Nilgai hunts in S. Texas. He was bragging on the 270WSM.They had 12 hunters,mostly or maybe all Win. reps, all shooting that cartridge. He said they "only" lost one bull out of the twelve hunters.That's compared to one out of eight on average.
<br>
<br>The hunters they get are not your once a year guy.And they average losing one in eight.That's not counting the ones that aren't lost because the guide nails them.
<br>
<br>Does anyone think the lost ratio is much different on deer? Seems to me the ultra long range guys are entitled to lose as many as the average before they are branded irresponsible.And yet they have lost none.
<br>
<br>I doubt there is a worse deer crippling practice around than buckshot but if I lived in a state that mandated it,that's what I'd use.If hunting is a game- and to me it's not - then losing is not going home hungry,it's crippling an animal.You will lose some and if you can't take your loss like a man then I dont want you whining around the same fire with me.
<br>
<br>And since when did this campfire become solely about "teaching the young 'uns"?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place