OK, instead of thinking up insulting responses, try actually listening to advice offered to help.

90 lbs of loaded bicycle? Waiting until 11:00 a.m. to begin crossing a desert? Come on! Use your head.

Sir, if you are a bicycle guy the tone of your responses strongly suggests you are one of those guys who self-righteously holds up traffic while dressed like a homosexual bondage submissive because after all, you’re riding fifty miles and that’s SERIOUS.

Or maybe not......

But here’s the deal, heavy as it is, steel is still the favored material for touring bikes because of the way it soaks up road vibration. And the rack/pannier combination I use is top of the line, likewise for a reason. So heavy touring bikes are common, it’s on hills where you feel it.

Dressed for the sun I’ve never worried much about the time of day. I picked up a 3X 100% cotton sports shirt to try out here nd have it on over my usual getup and I’m happy to report that here in the arid West, a heavy cotton overshirt keeps you much cooler in the sun.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/03/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744