Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Trip Two Day 8: 54 miles ~300 total.

Rolled into Yellowstone NP around 10am amid the long lines of cars and RVs, a kazillion families on vacation, sorta impatient, prob’ly wishing a lot of the other folks had gone somewhere else this year. 30 miles give or take from West Yellowstone to Old Faithful, passed a bunch of other geyser and steaming areas but I was on a mission.

The Old Faithful area is all built up; museum type place, hotel, restaurants. I had an hour to the next eruption (about every 90 minutes). The place I ate was packed, the wait was long, and the food both expensive and awful.

Waited with the crowds (next to a nice retired couple from Nebraska), seen it go off, time to move on. Except I couldn’t. Friggin’ storm cells again. Next place I needed to be was Grant’s Village on Yellowstone Lake, 17 miles away over 8,000+ ft Craig Pass. So, waiting three hours for the rain to clear I got to see Old Faithful go off twice more, and I’m glad I did, ya gotta experience the regularity of the thing to really appreciate it.

Clouds, storm cells ain’t letting up, finally late in the day, fuggit, I take my chances and head out. Getting dark by the time I make the Continental Divide at 8,000 whatever. Then it begins to rain, gets dark, lightning. First night in Yellowstone and I’m on a bicycle at night on a narrow winding road in the rain and thunder at 8,000ft.

The road takes forever, I gotta go slow ‘cause I can’t see chit. Once in a while cars pass by, I bail off the road surface, once in a while some honk their horn like I don’t know I’m on a narrow windy road at 8,000ft at night on a bicycle in the rain grin

At friggin’ last the road begins to head downhill, the traffic has died but I still gotta go slow because I can’t see chit, my headlight is ok but it’s only “hey-don’t-run-over-me” spec, not “don’t-hit-a-Buffalo-in-Yellowstone” floodlight.

It occurs to me that Yellowstone is famous for its bears. It also occurs to me the grizzlies are famously irritable when surprised. I guessed that one of the best ways to surprise a bear would be on a bicycle at night in the rain.

So for like the last hour I’m singing out ditties like “John Jakob Jinglehiemer-Schmidt” ( I tried it but I found “99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall” required too much concentration).

It was friggin DARK, and wet, all I got is this little tunnel of light from my bike headlight. Finally I locate the campground like 10:30, it’s all dark, and wet.

I find the campground office, the check-in walkway is sheltered and dry, plus there’s a porch light. Hikers and cyclists get cut rates and don’t need reservations. I park the bike under the light by way of explanation and lay out my cotton bedsheet on the concrete walk, inflate the pillow (those things rock😎). Until later on when the temperature got down around 40 the skeeters were bad, so I unzipped the bag Timbermaster gave me and slept under it, covering my head.

I was warm and dry but hey this was Yellowstone, I could be jumped by a griz any moment, so kept spray and (concealed) firearm close at hand. Slept well.

Awesome. You're having one heck of an adventure, and doing well. Good grief, that night ride over the pass was a little crazy though... smile

Guy