Day Three (today)

Almost rode right by the booming megalopolis of Clancy but this sign made me stop in, Black Rifle Coffee, ain't that the official coffee of the 'Fire? cool Sign was so small tho I dunno how many regular motorists would notice....

[Linked Image]

Two miles above Clancy, maybe the coolest rest area in the world, with a sign celebrating the bad language used by teamsters back in the muleskinner days cool Sadly a sign at the previous rest area at the end of Day One said this rest area was gonna be torn down and made just a picnic area, hopefully the sign can stay...

[Linked Image]

OK, I was beat from yesterday so I didn't roll out of Helena until 1pm, it was hot, and tho I rolled out of Helena without it, I stopped first chance I got to fill the 3L CamelBack bladder to carry in addition to the six 24oz water bottles I was carrying. I recalled running out the day before and how worrying that was, in addition to being a PITA. That bladder has to sit high in the bag to avoid getting crushed, and it always feels like about the last straw. With all that water my loaded bike has gotta weigh on the far side of 90lbs.

Here's how I spent my afternoon, pedalling up from that far low background down around Helena, to the top of the pass, never woulda thought it possible.

[Linked Image]

Rolling down the far side towards Boulder MT...

[Linked Image]

Just about a 30 mile day, maybe. I am learning that in the mountains 30 or 40 miles a day is what I'm likely to get, on the flats I'd expect 60 or 70.

I continue to be enormously impressed by the locals here in Montana cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744