Originally Posted by shrapnel

You were just a stone throw from the Shonkin where Jack Nicholson had an implement business in the movie “Missouri Breaks.”

Well hey, thanks folks fer following along, I am aware this might not be the most compelling of travelogues at this point.

Anyways, leaving Loma there was no reason to hurry. Havre (pronounced "Haver") was a flat and easy 62 miles away, whereas Jim's place was significantly further'n that, a bit long for one day. Rolled out about 11 and made that long climb up to Lewis's lookout (this one looking east from there across the road, right near where they have provided a pull-out area to use your cell phones on account of phone coverage sucks in the Breaks)

[Linked Image]

Halfway point was gonna be Big Sandy, maybe 35 miles. Here about five miles out to the left in that sorta valley 'tween me and the distant Bear Paw Mountains. A sign at Lewis's Lookout had explained that before the last Ice Age the Missouri had run North (to Hudson's Bay ??) but that glacial till had filled the old channel and that the course had been redirected to the south and the Mississippi. Big Sandy laying along the old north river channel.

[Linked Image]

The final approach to Big Sandy. One thing unusual about Hwy 84 on the Great Falls/Havre stretch at least is that the highway does not run down the main streets of the towns that lay along its length. I thought this was the main drag to Big Sandy coming in, but it weren't. You had to turn right to find the town proper, in this case at the coffee shop/bookshop/book exchange/cultural center.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I stopped to eat in Big Sandy, where I met two Hispanic guys from Texas, up working with a mobile harvesting outfit.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744