If ya ain't been out west and seen just how many prairie dogs and ground squirrels there are, ya might not understand why some people spend so much time shooting them. I first encountered hordes of 'em way back in Lubbock, these are urban prairie dogs in front of a hotel complex in downtown Billings...

[Linked Image]

Along the way I saw like eight species of roadkill birds, especially along the Interstates, prob'ly colliding with semis, including a pair of wild ducks. Two roadkills on the stretch from Billings to Hardin were sorta sad to me, so I took photos.

A yellow-breasted chat, that will not be returning to Venezuela this August....

[Linked Image]

...and an avocet. Avocets are just pretty, and graceful, I first encountered 'em on the Plains north of Lubbock, they breed up here in Montana too....

[Linked Image]

Almost forgot, outside of Fromberg someone was keeping a whole herd of sorta medium-sized cattle with actual horns, must be a Heritage breed....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/26/19.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744