The .300 Wby is a great round. As far as best, well, that is subjective. Everything living will die very quickly sans its heart. What destroys its heart is immaterial. That it is destroyed is.

Last September, I put a 900+ pound 7x7 bull on his butt with one 160 Partition fired from my 7MM Rem Mag. The fact is I can't think of a big game round that wouldn't have done the same thing provided a bullet from one destroyed its heart.

Were I accorded a rifle do-over, I'd go with a 22" barreled .280 Rem and never look back. But then again, I like short barreled, easy-to-carry guns.

Hunting success is determined by hunters' skills. A .303 British will kill just as dead as a .300 Wby if bullets from each stop oxygenated blood from flowing topside. Big game will die when oxygenated blood stops topside flow.

Therefore, it ain't the cartridge as much as personal preference and hunters' skills.

If I'm fortunate to go again this season, I'll be using my 22" barreled .270 Win. As long as I put a bullet in an elk's oxygenated blood pumping equipment, it will die. That is biological fact. And in hunting as is true in all that lives, biology is controlling.

�If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.�
***US President James Madison***