Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Weatherby doesn't show up on the list due to the high cost of ammo. Your example is not a valid measure of effectiveness to prove your point.

In other words, people shy away from the .300WBY because they find something that "better" suits their needs? Like more something with more affordable ammo?

I agree ammo cost is not a measure of its effectiveness, nor have I ever believed that or claimed it, in spite of what Mule Deer as written.

No, because they can't either not afford their rifles AND/OR don't care for the make. And "better suit their needs" can be a whole other set of variables, as too much recoil, prefer another caliber (taste and needs are subjective) etc. About the only quantifiable MOE are ballistics and round characteristics. Weatherby are over-bore as most people know and there are other myriad cartridges out there that take elk cleanly. The "is there anything better" is an OPINION, and from a ballistic perspective and effectiveness on game, the Weatherby's a top contender.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”