Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience the advantage of the .300 Weatherby (or any .300 magnum) is the ability to use deep-penetrating bullets like the 200-grain Partition at pretty good velocity. This makes it a good choice for hunting in timber at close range, where the shot might be at an extreme angle or through the heavy shoulder joint, and yet have enough reach for "conventional" longer shots across a park or clear-cut. In other words, they're good cartridges for all-around elk hunting, not specialized tools.

JB,

We all seem to agree that south end shots on north bound unwounded bulls is a bad plan.

Why would anyone need "deep-penetrating" any more in the timber than in the open?

If a rifle/cartridge works fine at 50yds in the open then what makes it unsuitable when there are trees around?

As I target the shoulder on most any shot and have never had a lick of problems smashing through it I still fail to see how a .300 Bee is going to kill a dead bull any more deader?

How many times in your entire hunting experience have you ever seen a bullet fail to penetrate the shoulder of a bull?

How many bulls have you killed with the .300 Bee that would have escaped wounded had you been shooting something with less penetration?

For every bull that gets away from a lack of "penetration" I would bet literally 1000 escape wounded from shot placement.

Bulls hit right die quick. Bulls hit wrong run far.

Shot placement counts for much more than penetration.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.