Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bea175
One thing I will say you can't go wrong using the most power rifle you can shoot accurate and handle the recoil for Big Bulls, the extra insurance can sometimes make the difference with other than perfect shot. Elk is where heavy for cal bullets make the difference if you have to angle a bullet to get to the through the paunch to get to the chest cavity.

A friend hunts three states for elk with a couple of his buddies. They all used heavy for caliber bullets. He used 175 grain in his RUM while the other two used 120 grainers in their .25-0'6s.

I convinced them to try the new Barnes and go light for caliber. One of the guys killed a five point bull with his 100 grain Barnes by hitting it in the tail. The bullet destroyed five of the vertebrae and came to rest in front of the right shoulder. Mono-metals negate the antiquated idea of heavy for caliber for accomplishing penetration.

Kind of like how 18x power scopes negate the need for carrying a spotter?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.