I think there's too many hunting bullets. smile whistle

Fortunately many of them are good and others I wouldn't give two cents for if I could have something else.

The conversations about them get silly after awhile as people try to create scenarios of crowning achievement or catastrophic failure for one or the other. It gets boring after awhile and is counter productive.

Truth is a guy could pick one good one for the 300 Weatherby (since thats the thread topic) and hunt the length and breadth of the continent for anything and never break a sweat...if he can hunt ....and shoot . No mystery. If we're befuddled by it, we need to shoot more BG animals and think about it less.

Of course that's harder,a lot more expensive, and generally takes a lot more time than talking about it on the internet.

I don't care a hoot about target bullets for BG although it makes for interesting reading,and I guess they make sense for stretching envelopes past 600 yards or so but I don't do that stuff and don't really care much about it all. I do enjoy plinking at distance though....it's fun. But if the elk is 900 yards away I don't need him that badly and am content to watch and figure out how to get closer..

I could also care less that others like and use them.If target bullet manufacturers intended their bullets for hunting it would say so on their web sites.

"Accuracy" and bullet placement are of course paramount but if the bullet fails to behave properly after it lands you might have more problems than if you missed completely. After the bullet leaves the barrel you are no longer in control and have been reduced to the status of an active observer but you are responsible for what happens nevertheless.......and the differences in accuracy in the field between your MOA and half MOA bullet are no where near as significant as many make them out to be under 99% of most BG shooting scenarios.

I'm not a big believer in"accidental" designs and unintended consequences but that's just me. OTOH I could care less what anyone else wants to do. I've rarely suffered from "bad bullets" because from early on I refused to use anything that i thought sucked.......my hunting life has been pretty free of strife and doubt as a result smile YMMV.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.