Originally Posted by Ray
Originally Posted by BWalker
One thing that seems lost on some of you is the fa t that the partition is designed to blow off the front core. It is also worth pointing out that there isn't much and in some cases no differance in penetration between a mono metal and a partition, yet the partitions will kill faster IME.

That's true, and that's the reason why I use tougher bullets such as the A-Frame, and now the TTSX. I have shot moose through the lungs with the 250-grain partition (the Federal HE load), and as I mentioned before it broke to pieces inside the moose, probably because it was driven too fast. But the same bullet loaded around 2660 fps and shot through the lungs of the same moose would have done exactly what you said.

I shot another moose with the old Lubalox-coated 230-grain FS, and the moose dropped like hit by lightning, simply because it broke the near shoulder and cut through the heart arteries as it passed though the lungs. I shot another with a 225-grain TSX from around 125 yards, and it dropped right there. I haven't shot anything with the TTSX, but I am certain that it has the potential of killing just as well as other bullets as long as I do my part. Call me chicken if you like, but in bear country I want tough bullets I can depend on to break bone if needed.

That said, I understand that each one of us for whatever reason has one or two favorite bullets, and arguing about which one is best makes no sense. As for me, I prefer mid-weight bullets that retain more of their weight: 225 to 250-grain A-Frame, 225-grain to 250-grain TTSX.

I also wouldn't mind using a 250-grain Partition, or even a 250-grain to 300-grain Woodleigh, but the 225-grain TSX is the best all around hunting bullet for me.

How do you know the partition blew up?