Originally Posted by bellydeep
I don't doubt Hornady makes those claims. Whether any loading but a single factory load can repeat those results is another matter entirely.

For all practical purposes, you will probably end up with a rifle that only hold an advantage to a 20" '06 in that it is 1/2" shorter OAL. Disadvantages being an obsolete chambering that nobody else wants when you or your kids want to get rid of it.

If you want a Ruger, find one of the ultralight '06's

Thanks for the advice but I have three .30-06's, two Rugers (M77 and MKII) and one Remingiton M700. Getting another .30-06 really doesn't interest me.

The extra case capacity (3-4 grains) should allow another 100fps or more, basically making up for chopping a 24" .30-06 to 20". Along with the 1/2" and associated weight reduction, I'll take it.

As far as the girls, they will get their choice of whatever rifles they want. The rest will probably be sold. In any case, I wouldn't be buying the .300RCM for them as they don't reload. They could donate it to a good cause or use it as a tomato stake for all I care. I suspect, though, like my Marlin 375 (.375 Win), it will retain its value and then some. What is important is that I want a short, handy and relatively lightweight rifle with .30-06 or better reach and I'm not interested in a another custom.

Please tell me where I can get a .30-06 (or your choice of .30 caliber) that comes in at 7 lbs or less, has a synthetic stock, iron sights, a 20" barrel, can hit 2800+fps with a 180g bullet and can be had for $499 and a phone call?

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 06/09/16. Reason: .30-0's to .30-06's

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.