Originally Posted by BWalker
Same thing applies to your 280. Can't get around poorly designed shape.

Poorly designed shape? Only if a high B.C. was the primary goal of the design, which, if you have ever talked to Mike Brady, the bullet's designer, you would know wasn't the case. Excellent and reliable terminal performance is what the NF are designed for and after poking quite a few animals with them, they remain my favorite bullet for all around use. Form follows function.

Originally Posted by BWalker
And btw assumption that a NF will expand at 500 yards in game from a 30-06 based on shooting a dirt bank is a bit flawed. Last I checked elk aren't made out of dirt.

Only a fool would consider dirt (or any other test media) and elk flesh and bone to be identical and it takes just as big a fool to assume someone else makes that assumption. Nevertheless, such test media and the data points they provide are not without value. The NF bullets are designed to expand in flesh and bone at velocities well below the impact velocity of the bullet I recovered from dirt at 500 yards, calculated at 1972fps. I would have been quite disappointed if the recovered bullet either a) had not expanded, or b) had torn itself to shrapnel. Moreover I would have been very surprised by either outcome as I've had them expand in game at calculated velocities under 1600fps.

Steel is a lousy substitute for flesh and bone but as a matter or record, NF bullets are the only bullet I've ever recovered a significant portion of after shooting steel plate at 200 yards. AB fly to a million pieces based on shredding of nearby paper targets and TTSX, while they leave a bright copper-plated dent, also appear to fly to flinders. The NF would dig a hole and although they lost most of their lead core, a fair portion of the shank would be wedged in the hole with a mushroom cap up front. While I don't have any plans to shoot wild steel in the field, I have no qualms about using my fastest NF loads on game at ranges of a few feet, either - something I can't say for my fastest AB loads.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/16/16.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.