Originally Posted by bellydeep

Ok so you picked a bullet that opens decently wide, with a relatively low SD, and shot a large animal in the neck, which is some of the densest tissue in the body. Right.

Yes, and as I said, at 282 yards I fully anticipated the 150g/.308” AB would exit on a neck shot. Impact velocity and energy calculate out to about 2542fps and 2152fpe. That is considerably more than a .30-30/150g can muster at the muzzle.

A bullet’s starting SD is much overrated in my book – once bullets expand a difference in mass of 10-15g makes remarkably little difference. For example, here are the SD values for four bullets expanded to 0.5”:
.080 = 140g
.086 = 150g
.091 = 160g
.094 = 165g

I’ve driven 7mm/140g NF ham-to–sternum on buck mulie. That bullet passed through a grass-filled gut, which isn’t exactly fluff. It took me 20 years of shooting elk to recover a 7mm/160g GS and that one had destroyed both shoulder joints of a 5x5 bull before coming to rest peeking out of the bone on the far side. I have recovered a couple of .308”/165g NF from elk but they also encountered heavy bone before coming to a stop under the hide on the off side. As to MRX/TTSX, I have yet to recover one in any weight and my hunting buddy has never recovered a TB. My hunting buddy has also taken both a 5x5 bull and a cow with neck shots using a 160g GS. The one on the bull took out a section of spine and both exited.

I guess I was just expecting too much out of the 150g AB.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.