I'm using a 300 Weatherby pushing a 180 TTSX these days for elk not because my 7mm with 150 TTSX didn't kill them, but because the 300 stops them much quicker. Hunting within 200 yards of the private ranch border sometimes means I want them anchored right now. A chest shot from 550 yards lasts year produced a back flip down the hill from a large cow. So far a sample of 3 elk shot at 375 yards avèrage haven't covered 50 yards combined after the shot.

They averaged traveling over 50 yards each using a 7 RM and 30-06 with 9 other elk taken at about a 250 yard average. Three of them covered over 200 yards before expiring from one or more bullets in the lungs. Hunting near the edge of a very unfriendly ranch - that means a lost animal that would have a ranch hand's tag on it instead of mine. Dead is dead but I prefer them dead in my freezer. I still have to pass on some that are too close to the property line but if they are 200 clear and under 600 with minimal wind they are about to be steaks. That is another 100 yards beyond my comfort zone with the 06 or the 7. I'm a 300 B fan because I know it stops them quickly and hits hard a long way out ther..