I'd think a 300 Weatherby would an excellent cartridge with premium bullets. There would be occasions where I'd prefer a rifle such as a 350 RM. I often hunt in the thick woods and a 300 Weatherby is usually found on a rather long rifle. Where I'll be hunting this fall the reports are that most elk are shot in less than 50 yards. But that may not be your hunting ground.
My favorite elk round is 338 WM with 250 grain Nosler Partitions.
If you're hunting in an area where Grizzlies may challenge you for the right to your elk and you have no other choice but to kill or be killed, would that change your mind on what you're hunting with?
I know it's popular with many to use the smallest cartridge possible. But I lean the other way. I want total penetration no matter where an what angle I shoot the elk with and I want to stand my ground after the elk is down. So the selection of cartridge would depend a lot on the terrain and unfriendly animals.
One more thing, if you were hunting next to an a map preserve such as Yellowstone Park and there's a hunter over every hill. You'd probably want to anchor that animal.
Again that 300 Weatherby would be as good as any in most situations.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally