Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I have both the .300 Wea. and .300 win. Yeats ago when I made my Win. I was thinking of a Wea.. But at that time the gunshop I dealt with build most of their Wea. WITHOUT any freebore.. My pal bought a beautiful custom Wea. from them, and when I read up on the loading data, with out the freebore, it was the twin of a .300 Win.. I have both and the Wea beats the Win. by about 100 fps.. Both are great elk rifles, but I have shot the Win much longer and much more.
When I first hunted elk, the Win. was just new in my collection.. I had hunted most of the 10 years before, with a custom .30-06.. I had great faith in it.. But on my first season, I had a good shot at a cow elk.. I put the crosshairs of the scope on her shoulder and squeezed... I missed.. To this day I do not know how I missed that shot.
A few days later I put a 165 gr. from my .300 right though the lungs of a huge cow.. Later that fall I shot a nice mule with the .300, from that point on, I had great faith in the .300.. My 06's have pretty much gathered dust since then..
Never owned a .308 except to take the barrel of to make something else.. I do have a nice little bolt action 300 Savage. But never took it elk hunting.. Went through a couple .338's but they lacked the flat shooting qualities of the .300's.. In the area I hunted elk at the time, that was important.. It was also in the prerange finder days.. I have since added a .340 to my safe.. I like it better than the .338, but I seldom shoot it much anymore.
It didn't kill any better than my .300..
Now with elk everywhere, and the meat not so important to our budget, I could use the 06, but when the chips are down, I usually take one of the .300's. They have never failed, and we have a great many memories..

What I'm getting out of this is you missed an easy shot with your 30-06 and started using your 300 win. I can see where the 30-06 failed you and how the 300 is so much better because you missed with the 06... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA