Moose, in the elk rifle debate, one must keep in mind as with moose hunting.. We must think about Killing the game where it can be gotten out..Burns has mules for the job, and is willing to keep them year around for the hunting he does.. That is fine.. Most folks don't do that..

I gather you are a younger man, with lots of vim and vigor.. So you would probably shoot elk where I would pass.. But also a well hit elk can travel from a good retrieve to a hole in a death run..

Something to keep in mind.. I am sure I could kill an elk with a .222, but it might go a long way before I found it. Bob Hagel felt the core of the good elk rifles stated with the 7's and went through the .33's.. He like magnums for elk hunting.. He is someone I paid much attention to because he was like most hunters.. He hunted on his own, and in country that offered both still hunting though timber and open long range shooting.. He would say, as I would, 600 yards is long range.. He was a promoter of the the Mashburn 7mm and Nosler Partition bullets..
When hunting in the timber, or brush, one might have to drive a bullet though an elk at a bad angle.. Something to be considered.. It is easy to say, sitting in a warm room to I wouldn't take less than a perfect shot.. After 10 days of hard hunting most people will attempt a less than perfect shot..
To me, that is where I pick a rifle and bullet that will do the job under less than perfect conditions..

Molon Labe