Originally Posted by bellydeep

So nukes are the preferred weapon for girls and disabled hunters?

What is the BC of a nuke?

Have the men in white coats come yet?

Real snipers don't use nukes!

No wonder you gut [bleep] that elk!

You are the one that wants to take the hunter and the hunter’s capabilities and limitations out of the decision making process as to what is “best”. Do that and you’re just talking about killing elk, not hunting them. And yes, a nuke would do a much better job if one wasn’t “too cheap” to employ one.

Even the OP recognized the need to include the hunter’s capabilities and limitations with the question “Why undergun yourself with lesser armament, or overrun yourself with higher recoil?” If factors like rifle weight and recoil are not an issue (per your “lowest common denominator” comment) I would contend that a .50BMG loaded with expanding bullets would be a better choice for hunting elk than a .300 Weatherby.

In the real world, as opposed to the fantasy world you seem to live in, the capabilities, limitations, needs and wants of individual hunters must be included in determining what tool is best for them as individuals. The answer will not be the same for everyone.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.