You take your .270 Win with a 150g and I'll take my 7mm RM with a 160g and I guess we'll both be happy.

To my way of thinking taking a THS is not at all unethical if you are trying to stop a wounded or possibly wounded animal - in which case I'll take my .300 and 180g bullets, thank you very much. I've driven them lengthwise through mule deer and never captured one in elk.

You've skipped a lot of middle ground between a .300 and a .416. My .338WM definitely makes bigger holes and, like my .300WM, has always made two.

While I think we can agree that a lot of long range hunters are in it to see just how far they can do it, and thus make little effort to get closer, there are some that are skilled enough that what constitutes long range for them is equivalent to less than 100 yards for others. A few years back I listened as a guy shot the better part of a box of ammo trying to bring down an elk at ranges from 100 to about 300 yards. Another person watching said he thought two were wounded but none dropped. It is people like that "hunter" that I get angry with. If John Burns and others with his skills can take animals at ranges beyond my capabilities - or yours - I say good for them, even if I would prefer they try to get closer when possible. Shooting skill is just one of the skills a hunter needs.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.