Originally Posted by John55
Brad,
Years back when Allen Day shot the two buffalo using his 300, the ammo was factory WW using 180gr Fail Safe bullets. We had many phone conversations about that hunt as well as the ones we made together.
As for Echols not using freeborn in his Legends chambered to 300Wby, this is not completely true. He typically short throats them but one cannot load ammo that touches the lands and have it fit in his mag boxes. And they can handle most all of the Wby factory ammo w/o pressure troubles.

And I guess the targets I posted showing 50 plus year old Weatherbys with LOTS of freebore didn't count. The issue of freebore (for hunting accuracy) and the hatred of "belts" are both red-herrings that really don't hold up. On the Partition V the TTSXs on penetration, a gent over on AR did extensive penetration tests, mainly on the CEB bullets, but he compared them to the rest of the competition including NPs in the bigger calibers and the NPs weren't in the same league. Speaking oF CEBs, nobody's mentioned those in this thread, so I guess now is a good time. There are some fantastic reports out there on their performance, both on killing power (tissue0 and penetration.

Last edited by jorgeI; 04/10/16.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”