Originally Posted by bellydeep

Yeah I guess it was more of a strawman. In any event, the criteria is not women and cheap men, it's elk.

Keep pluggin along though. You're daily word count has fallen way off!

BTW the BC on those light Barnes you load for your daughter are really sucky. Not good for hunting elk AT ALL!

You should re-read your sniper books!

It wasn't a straw man argument either. This is the "Elk Hunting" forum, not the "Elk Killing" forum. Every .300 Weatherby rifle I've ever seen was designed to be wielded and fired by a single individual - the hunter. If you remove the hunter element, including their unique capabilities, limitations, needs, wants and cost considerations, you are no longer talking about hunting but simply whether or not the .300 Weatherby is the best tool ever devised for killing elk at a distance. The answer to that question is an obvious and resounding "NO" to anyone with a modicum of imagination. A nuke detonated a few miles up in the atmosphere would wipe out not only one elk or one herd but potentially many herds and thousands of elk. Try that with a .300 Weatherby and a box of ammo.

The OP claimed " High but manageable recoil" for the .300 Weatherby. For him or her, maybe - for others it is way too high. The OP also asked " If you were on a trophy hunt for big bulls, could you really come up with a better choice?" If a hunter can't handle the recoil, as many cannot, there are many choices that would be better for those individuals.

My hunting buddy of nearly a couple of decades is so crippled up from diabetes, even after shoulder surgery, he can barely lift his arms to shoulder height and recoil is a significant problem due to the pain it causes. Moreover he has limited physical stamina so minimizing weight is important. If he was choosing a rifle for " a trophy hunt for big bulls", a .300 Weatherby would be a poor choice for him.

The B.C. for the 130g TTSX .308 bullets (.350) is more than adequate for the ranges at which my daughter should be shooting and she shoots them well. If she proves over the summer that she can handle she can handle a 150g BT or AccuBond load we'll move her up to that. If not, I'm not worried about her using the 130g TTSX.

As to the sniper book, the stores in Meeker don't have much of a selection and it seemed (and was) much better than the alternatives. The author was a British sniper in Iraq and the book dealt his experiences there including a lot of stuff I found interesting that had nothing whatsoever to do with snipers or sniping. I'm sure you would have picked one of the many romance novels available on the store racks instead.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.