Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by smokepole
What a pile of horse [bleep]. Show me where anyone has accurately modeled the passage of a bullet through an animal.

I guess I would gently agree with this. smile

I understand our needs today to quantify everything bullets based on formulas and charts,but we seem to ignore a lot of stuff in the process, foremost being bullet construction as we talk "numbers".

I'm sure we can come close in uniform media predicting exactly what a bullet will always do .........but what happens after hit hits 3" of soggy or mud caked hide, then muscle, sinew,bone of varying density (like a brick wall).....and then gooey, soft stuff (vitals), and then back into the tougher going of more muscle and bone?

Trends will be apparent but I think wide expanding bullets chop big holes,even if they don't penetrate as far as smaller frontal areas in absolute terms. If they did not work well things like Swift Aframes would not be effective Cape Buffalo bullets.

I have seen some wide expanding bullets go farther than I thought they should. smile
Which brings it back to the question;during what part of the animals death did the bullet fail?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken