I like the 35's. I'm planning a hunt in WY this fall. My brother said last couple of years all elk were shot under 100 yards, most around 50. Very thick woods. I have a 35 Rem, 358 Win and 350 RM.

I shot a 250 grain Hornady at point blank into moist clay out of the Mag. I dug about 2 feet looking for the bullet but it was still going. Should have enough penetration, I think.

Probably the other two would have killed just fine too. But the slope is quite steep. I am old. We're going to start the hunt where there's good access, on top.

I'm bringing a 06 with 180 PT as backup rifle for any of the 4 of us to use if any have rifle issues.

If the hunt was in an area more open, I'd probably bring my 338 with another as backup. I like my 338's. smile Flat shooting, deep penetration, good expansion and with a mild kick. Shooting 250 grain PT's. Little meat damage. Aim for the opposite shoulder if he's facing away, near shoulder if angling towards me. Works very well for me.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally