John,

Will definitely tell her hi and congrats!

Yeah, my response was more about bullets than the .300 Weatherby, but one of the reasons the .300 Weatherby (and other .300 magnums) are popular among elk hunters is they can push reasonably heavy premium bullets fast enough to work well both at very close range and out a ways. I've taken elk with smaller rounds, of course, and they've all done the job, but don't feel the same confidence in smaller bullets in taking the tough angling or shoulder shots. They would probably work fine, and in fact have seen good performance from bullets like the Barnes TSX and Nosler Partition in smaller caliber on both on elk and moose. But have EVERY confidence in the 200 Partition just from using it so often in varying conditions!

I also think--also based on considerable experience--that the majority of hunters can't shoot .300 magnums very well, which of course is another, very real factor. They would obviously be better off with a lighter-kicking round, as Eileen is with the .257 Roberts.

One thing's for sure: It's nice to have so many elk around to hunt these days!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck