Originally Posted by JohnBurns
Originally Posted by bellydeep
I'm not trying to make you comply with any rules.

But there are other methods of hunting elk where your guns don't work so well. That's all.

bellydeep,

Well we are all victims of our experience. Having shot elk from up close in black timber to pretty far in the wide open I really don't know what mean by "methods of hunting elk" and why my gun would not work well?

Care to expound?

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
John B -

Those are some pretty awesome bulls.

I dare say, though, that if you didn't have four-footed transportation you might quickly decide that a 10 pound rifle is unnecessarily heavy.

A gentleman's hunt on horse or mules is on my bucket list but for the last 30+ years I've carried my pack and rifle on my back, often doing 6-8 miles a day in and back. For me, lighter rifles are much preferred.

Well I would like a .300 Weatherby even less in a light weight rifle. laugh

The idea that owning all the mules, tack, trailers & trucks plus training, care and feeding that it takes to hunt deep in the wilderness is a "gentleman's hunt" put a smile on my face.

If you ever get the chance to go on your "bucket list" hunt make sure you get all the fun. Don't let the wrangler or guide saddle, feed, picket, or load your mount or the 2 pack animals it takes as minimum to do a wilderness "gentleman's hunt". grin

Originally Posted by shrapnel
John boy,

What you don't realize is that there are a few people here that do hunt elk and do have great success.

Well I am somewhat surprised at the lack of real elk hunting examples where the virtues of the .300 Weatherby made a real definable difference in the outcome.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
Shooting specialized guns under controlled circumstances doesn't put you in the rank and file category and certainly doesn't make a better hunter.

While I would agree my rifles are pretty special I wonder what you mean by "controlled circumstances"?

Every bull I have posted in this thread was killed on public ground. To try and diminish my hunting as if I was killing bulls in a pen is a schitty way to try and bolster a losing argument and here's your GFY for the effort.

Why don't you post your last 4 (.300 Weatherby) bulls taken in uncontrolled circumstances, preferably public ground and wilderness.

Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
I can think of a number of scenarios where a 300 roy of normal sporting weight and shooting bullets of good construction would be a waaay better choice than an 11 lb 264 with a longish barrel.....one being you hunt an area with lots of grizz

far as that goes , put the 300 in a heavyweight gun with a fat tacticool stock and 30 inch barrel , its not gonna kick all bad either....

Grizz? Never heard of her. Sounds scary. eek

This sign-

[Linked Image]

is about 1/2 mile from here. shocked

[Linked Image]

"fat tacticool stock and 30 inch barrel" makes me laugh. Hyperbole much??

Originally Posted by saddlesore
Gosh darn john.Some day I'm going to convince you to trim up those mules so they don't look like gang of hippies,

They are pretty unkempt. laugh laugh

Would you shoot a Brn bear/ grizzly at 1,000 Yards? Or you just long range shoot elk??

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.