Since its hard for me to make time and the distance traveled to elk areas, I tend to think around .338 diameter is a good thing. I've a LOT of confidence in a 338 win mag for some reason.

I have a couple of 300 mags, and a 7x300 mag. I tend to migrate to teh 338 or the .54 MZ when I think elk, just in case I need to take an angled shot. Drop is something that can be dealt with easy enough.

Truth be told though, I simply wouldn't feel a bit bad with a 243 in my hands. Have to be a bit more picky, but right bullet selection and shot placement have always been big keys to things like death in an animal....

And another truth be told, I get bored with calibers easily, and with deer, generally am using a different caliber as often as I can. Just because I enjoy seeing what they all can do.

This year the 1864 civil war musket still has a charge sitting in it, but its still looking for the chance on a deer...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....