Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
17, I hunt a lot of open canyon country. Long shots are quite common.. It is just easier to hit with a .300 than a .338... If I am going to carry a .338 then I want a heavy bullet.. They kill well but the 250's drop fast when they get beyond their point blank range.. That is not bs. In this country the .338 was popular for a couple years.. I had a couple and four of my pals had them. All have dropped their use or sold them in favor of flatter shooting calibers.. You never heard me say the 06 will not kill elk.. It is just easier to hit with a faster shooting caliber.. AS for my hunting style it has worked for me for years.. I enjoy it and prefer hunting open country to black timber..

True.

Compared to a 30/06 and with the same bullets the Weatherby will move those bullets faster, they will fly over a flatter trajectory,be going faster when they hit, and will expand better at greater distance than anything the 30/06 will do.

The Weatherby will also throw heavier bullets faster than the 30/06 will with many lighter weights owing to greater powder capacity, for even more advantage over the lighter bullets,at distance and close up.

Because of the higher velocities, heavier bullets and better expansion to longer range, they will create greater wound channels, the heavier bullets will break heavy bone better and penetrate deeper. Especially at distance .Assuming yo chose a decent bullet in the first place.

But anyone who has used the 300 Weatherby at rock throwing distance in timber(instead of reading about it) knows the 300 is a devastating elk round there as well.

This is basic shidt and I don't understand why some people don't get it........ confused

The performance of the 300 Weatherby as a BG round has nothing to do with whether the 30/06, or the 338, or anything else, work well, are sufficient or insufficient, or "better" than the others....but those are the arguments you end up with in these ridiculous threads.

The 300 Weatherby stands on its own as a very effective and reliable BG cartridge, regard less whether any one wants to use it or not. And regardless of the drivel you read in a tread like this. crazy smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 08/07/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.