Originally Posted by John_Gregori
The best all-around elk cartridge for the majority of hunters is likely the 270 Win. shooting 130 gr TTSX, 140 TSX, 140 gr TBBCs or 140 or 150 gr Partitions. With any of these bullets, at close to long range -you can get it done!

For any more power, step up to a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr (same type of bullets) and you can shoot them up the butt if you prefer (unethical for me) but they'll still go down or be shocked long enough for a second shot.

If you want more power after this, you'd have to go all the way up to a 416 Rem. mag. to see any difference in effect. Then, with 400 gr bullets you can watch them die but maybe die slower than with the previous two cartridges but at least you can feel like you're pounding them.

John Burns, I respect your talent but I do not respect your practice of long-range "SHOOTING" of game animals as it flies in the face of "Fair Chase Hunting" that our former President Roosevelt was so proud in establishing. If you have a good conscious you'd sleep better at night if your legacy was teaching the next generation of hunters the ethical practice of stalking in closer rather than be known as someone who can "shoot" versus "HUNT" animals.

A lot of talking out your azz in this post. You say the 270 can "get it done" "close to long range", then you criticize one of the best long range shooters here. If he can make clean ethical kills with 1 shot, it's not up to you to tell him he can't or it's "unethical". In your post about the 270 Winchester, what is your idea of "long range"? You say it can get it done. How far have you shot a big game animal with the 270 Winchester and made a nice clean 1 shot kill if it works so nicely at long range? On one had you say something works great at long range and on the other you criticize another member for making long range shots? Are you going to criticize scenarshooter (Pat) or GSSP or any of the other long range shooters here as well? There are guys out there that can easily make 600+ yard shots on game day in and day out here. I'd suggest you re-think what the word ethical means... wink. About time you broaden your fu cking horizons, because if you ever had to shoot with guys like John Burns or scenarshooter, it would be all about getting a better education... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA