The best all-around elk cartridge for the majority of hunters is likely the 270 Win. shooting 130 gr TTSX, 140 TSX, 140 gr TBBCs or 140 or 150 gr Partitions. With any of these bullets, at close to long range -you can get it done!

For any more power, step up to a 300 Win Mag with 180 gr (same type of bullets) and you can shoot them up the butt if you prefer (unethical for me) but they'll still go down or be shocked long enough for a second shot.

If you want more power after this, you'd have to go all the way up to a 416 Rem. mag. to see any difference in effect. Then, with 400 gr bullets you can watch them die but maybe die slower than with the previous two cartridges but at least you can feel like you're pounding them.

John Burns, I respect your talent but I do not respect your practice of long-range "SHOOTING" of game animals as it flies in the face of "Fair Chase Hunting" that our former President Roosevelt was so proud in establishing. If you have a good conscious you'd sleep better at night if your legacy was teaching the next generation of hunters the ethical practice of stalking in closer rather than be known as someone who can "shoot" versus "HUNT" animals.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards