This post really humors me. Sounds like a bunch of old women bickering over what dress to wear 300 wea is my go to elk rifle and have taken all but 1 elk with the cal. They drop on the spot. It has bone crushing energy at closer ranged that will drive thru elk end for end yet has the legs to kill way beyond the ability of most shooters. I am pushing 200gr partitions over 3000fps with sub moa accuracy out of a win mod 70. everyone that i know who shoots the 300 wea hand loads so i dont buy the ammo sales post. Ammo can be pricey and not found everywhere so hand loading it is very common. Everyone has a pet cal and I agree the 300 wea is not for everyone but for me it is the ticket. A good break will tame the recoil down enough that most shooters can handle it. as far as the lighter guns I bet they work great for some people but it is just not the case for me for the type of hunting i do. I hunt on foot I can be in the dark timber to open areas where shots can be well beyond 500 yards yes the 300 wea will fold up elk out that far with a single shot if you put the bullet where it belongs. I have yet to recover a bullet they pass thru even at ranges further than 500 yards. anyway it always done what i asked from close to far sometimes in ass deep snow it has never failed me thats why i use it. I truly work for my elk not many people really hunt anymore but i do alone. maybe a guy dont need a big gun to shoot from a truck or atv but you chase them around on foot and the extra range of a bigger gun is well worth it not just a 300 wea but any 30 cal mag to me it seems foolish not to use one if you can shoot.