Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
If properly constructed does it matter? I ask because nearly all ranges are pointed at dwellings/businesses somewhere out there.

On 2 acre lots?

Seriously?

Yes, seriously. My emphasis goes to the point of "properly constructed". We know in general terms what bullets do and it is simple though perhaps expensive to contain ricochets. My own range backstop illustrates the point. AR400 deflector which sends spall downward and the backstop structure that contains the odd piece of lead/jacket. The target is ~24" inside the front face of the house. Coupled with range rules there is zilch probability of errant flyers and damage or injury to third parties. The target house is in a gully with the top below surrounding grade. There is a 36" diameter pine log behind that which spans the gully and further tops the backstop house.

My rules for the 20/50 yard line.
1. For ALL repeaters the gun will be on the rest, on target, before a round is chambered.
2. Single shot break actions may not be cocked until on target.
3. Finger off the trigger until on target.
4. Violation results in a permanent ban.

I allow bag/elbow rest at the 20, or offhand. Bag rest is mandatory on the 50 yard line.

There is no reason larger ranges cannot be constructed likewise.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain