Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Do you have any pics of this? I'd really like to see it as it sounds pretty interesting.

No pics, but anyone with a few brain cells to rub together should be able to figure it out. Go to a trucking company or a big truck tire shop and scavenge up about a dozen worn out tires. They'll probably give them to you. Build a wood or metal rack that puts the hole in the tire at shooting bench height and stand the tires up side by side. Drill holes in the sidewalls and bolt them together with fender washers so you create a long tube.to shoot through. The air chambers of the tires create a series of baffles to absorb the pressure waves that cause the sound to travel. It's just like a suppressor on steroids. A side benefit is that it creates a glare-proof tunnel so you can shoot with the sun behind the target- - - -no glare that wipes out the scope picture.
Jerry

Won't work to solve her problem. The loudest noise comes from the sonic boom of the bullet. A 50BMG is still supersonic after it leaves the tires.

And it won't solve the ricochet problem down range. I'm no expert but I've been associated with two ranges that had ricochet problems from rifle bullets off the berm. I don't think the range inthe photo is safe.

Get range safety guidlines from the NRA and then file an injunction. Shouldn't matter if there is a Florida statute. The issue is endangering lives, not following some ordnance.

Indy,

You really need to stop displaying your ignorance on this one. As has already been pointed out, anyone, who during their time in the service, or at long range matches, has worked down range pit duty, and had bullets fly directly over their head at supersonic speeds, knows you above claim JUST ISN'T TRUE.

AS: All I can say is that, as an NRA-classified Lifetime Master in High Power Rifle since 1961, I've been in the pits while thousands of rounds went about 6 feet over my head. The firing line was 200 yards away. the "crack" from the bullet was MUCH LOUDER than the rifle's report, which was heard a fraction of a second later.

Now it may be that the berm (behind me) absorbs some of the sound of the rifle's report. But consider this: The impact area (in front of me) at my club is about 50 feet high, with the bullets impacting near the bottom. Behind that is a street about 600 feet away. One time I was on that street during a rapid fire (about 4 shooters firing 40 shots total in 60 seconds) match. I thought the sound was pretty loud and obnoxious.

Sometimes while in the pits I've seen bullets ricochet and hit the hill in back, about 10 feet or so up from the initial impact. I don't think the so-called berm in the photo at the start of this thread would provide protection from such a ricochet.

I think this about covers it:

Originally Posted by renegade50

Time to chime in!!!!

Fugging rds zipping by ya sound like a green branch loudly snapping.
Thats about it.....
BTDT all over this planet in training and in firefights.

It aint a fugging F16 nearing the sound barrier and then breaking it
Immediately over your position...

Not some fugging hearing destroying schitt like some wanta think.
JFC.......

What destroys your hearing is concussive repeative shearing pulse muzzle blast.
Especially in close proximity of the effects of it on the immediate flanks of a gun muzzle...
Backing off the edge of a adjacent wpn system being fired even 1 or 2 ft when you find yourself in that circumstance.
Your fugging bell wont be rocked as severely or at all....

BTDT
Way too many times to count.
And sometimes you cant fugging move or its an after the fact event.

Oh P.S......
Graduate of 24 yrs of service in the Infantry.
Holder of surface danger zone training certificates.
Holder of ammo67/range hazmat certificates.
Holder of aerial and indirect fires coordination certificates.
Small arms and manuver range operator and repairer to include shoot house,s. 9mm to .50 for 3 yrs after I retired at FTCKY.
Turned down Goat fugg Montgomery County shooting complex range directors job.

Now back to the " Why cant I get my way Mistykins show"

LMFAO!!!!!

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell