Misty,

you have a problem, and in your opinion a serious problem. And you are quite possibly right. Good luck with getting a judge to agree with you that the neighbor's range is "unsafe", and having that judge agree to stop him from using it in the manner he is using.

From everything you've posted so far, it would appear he has the "right" to shoot on his property. It may not be safe, or neighborly. But, from what you, and a couple of others, have posted, it seems in FL he has the legal right to shoot on his property.

I have the legal right on my property to buy a chain saw and start cutting down trees. Without wearing hearing protection, gloves, chaps, etc. It may not be safe, but it is legal. I can even cut down trees with no training in felling a tree whatsoever. I can cut them right next to my neighbor's fence. I can do it during all legal hours to make that kind of noise. I can leave them to turn brown and rot into the ground in an unsightly manner directly in front of my neighbor's picture window. Until I drop one on one of the neighbors' fences, or damage their property, there is not much they can do.

I have empty lots around me. If a new neighbor moves in across the street and decides to get a donkey or 6, not much I can do except listen to donkey music.

In my experience, neighbors can either be a great addition to life...................or a complete pain in the ass. Usually more of the latter than the former.

Best of luck dealing with someone who likely bought his 5 acres in order to get away from folks that didn't like him shooting on his property. It would seem that the two parties involved here made some decisions that didn't work out well for either party.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?