Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by rem141r
just because its legal, that doesn't make it right. if that guy knew he wanted a range, he should have bought more rural. he's a self-centered dickhead.

and ain't no way he's doing a 50 foot embankment. it would need a huge amount of space to get it that high.

A 45 or 50 foot "fence" capable of stopping a .50 BMG, or a 30-06 FMJ, would have to be made from some pretty thick timbers. Several feet at least, and either overlapping or two fences with packed dirt in between. That would cost many hundreds of thousands of dollars. Ain't no way the perp is going to spring for that.

And where the heck do you even get timbers 50 feet tall? Oh, they have to be sunk into the ground? Gonna need some concrete.

Concrete block walls? Hate to tell ya but a 30-06 will knock a hole right through them.

Many years ago I read of an experiment where various ammo was fired through pine boards 3/4 inch thick. 30-06 ball penetrated 72 of them. Now solid oak is not the same as pine boards but you get the idea. When one of my clubs had ricochet problems--and we had bulldozed what we thought was a safe berm--the NRA told us how to do it. The resulting assessment was well into six figures (I forget exactly how much). The solution wasn't anywhere near 50 feet tall.

#earthembankment

#dumphuck

How do you make a 50 foot earth embankment where the ground is sand.

And don't swear at me. I'm not your wife.

Why 50 feet? Its ok as is .

But......its called engineered fill to answer your ignorant question.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]