Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by Daveman
Just because one CAN do something does not mean one SHOULD do something.

I'll be surprised if he is not shut down due to noise (nuisance) laws.

True!! I agree.

Firearms supporters just don't need more bad publicity from jackasses. I was a member of a gun club in SE Virginia, Some guy (preparing for an African safari) shot a 470 Nitro at the range. The first shot went into the berm; he jerked the the second shot, hit high on the berm and the bullet penetrated it and went 1/4 mile into a house. No one was hurt, but the sheriff closed the range that afternoon.

The remediation costs were prohibitive (about $750,000 in 1989) so the range permanently closed.

Yikes! That's a steep fee and yes we don't want to see other people lose the right to have private ranges either, we have several out here by us, there have been several stray bullet cases out here even and no one is screaming to take those people ranges away either, typically once someone goes to that person and tells them hey we had strays or ricochets fly by our yard they rectify it and it doesn't happen again. The year we bought our lot the same guy who shoots around the corner from me nightly had some strays coming through our lot and the guy behind us who was living in his house at the time and he went to him and showed him the tree it hit, he built his backstop up better , problem solved. Now the problem we all have out here in our neighborhood is with a 50 BMG and fully automatic firing as many rounds a minute as this guy is firing those strays are very dangerous, there going into someone's home or the kid riding his bike, the girls out here walking, the kids on 4 wheelers having fun like they should be. He doesn't have a proper back stop or clear distance that is the issue, and he needs a suppressor for the BMG , then when you add the fact he lets his buddy come shoot who loves to post how he is going to light it up and everyone should grab their ear protection it's even more reckless. That guy can go shoot at his house and light it up out by his house and his neighbors he's a liability just waiting to happen with his attitude.

Sorry your range got permanently shut down frown