Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by md44815
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Makes you wonder about all the other potential ranges that may pop up in the area in future.

We had the other problem with suburbia creeping into the area of a long established range - safety complaints were unfounded so mainly complaints about noise now. Moron house buyers obviously didn't hear the gun fire during the inspections. We were here first and are winning the battle - they've been whinging for a long time now but seem to be able to cry themselves to sleep at night okay.

we have plenty of other ranges out here and no issue with them, one guy shoots nightly another 15 minutes he should be starting up in fact ... no issue at all

The issue with this one is it is aimed at houses and he has NO upper berm at all he has a hole he dug out and that is great if you were firing a hand gun down in the hole but when you are shooting a 50 bmg and your are a 100 yds down range also on level ground and you have no upper berm or back stop that is reckless. Any rifle actually you would shoot from down on the level ground because if you're site is off then where is that stray heading?

….

It's the distant ranges that can also present a risk. Here they apply a "danger zone template" around the range and it can extend for a few km behind the range backstop depending on the firearms that the range is licensed to use. In fact we can't use the high power "sniper" cartridges like the 338Lapua, 416 Cheytac on our public range because they exceed the licenced template. Or the 50BMG either but that is a different class of licence and not many people have those.

Anyone here recall the woman that was killed by a 303 ricochet off the water in New York? - I think it happened in the late 1960s. The woman was a mile from where the rifle was fired.

There was another in Texas just a few years ago went over a mile and went into her RV and killed her so yep you are correct. Our Sportsman Range here which is open to public one Sat a month won't allow a 50 BMG or certain rifle on anything other than the 200 yard range here because there is nothing behind that one for miles. They thought I was crazy when I asked if I could use the 100 yard range instead, then I told them why I was asking.