Originally Posted by IZH27
In a thread last week at least two people mentioned good works. One professing that they did good works and the other quoting the book of James, intimating that a Christian is to be focused on doing good works.

It is undeniable that in American Christian Theology most churches teach good works, following the law/Ten Commandments, as a way to please God. This message is anchored in the idea that there is an impact on someone’s salvation and standing with God in direct relation to performing good works.

I have a question for those that hold this view. The question is based on the scriptural truth that there is no one on this earth who is righteous. This mornings responsive reading was from Psalms 143. The words drew my thoughts back to the statements made last week.

Psalm 143:2

[2] Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for no one living is righteous before you.

This confession of David, “a man after God’s own heart” and echoed throughout scripture, quite famously in Romans 3,

How are you guys who claim righteousness and or holiness, either primarily or secondarily, measuring it? What is the evidence or actions in your life by which you measure the claim?

You covered a lot of ground in this post. I will share my views but it will have to come “bite sized.”

To start with, I have never been in a church where the focus was on good works…. Not one. Your statement may be correct, but that is not my experience. Jesus first, good works come second or even third. In my view, there is no amount of “good work” that will ever earn anyone the right nor even privilege … nor sufficient favor from God….to enter into God’s heaven at their death.

Your statement about “most churches teach good works…Ten Commandment as a way to please God” requires some clarification. If one is “born of the Spirit” then one might be correct to say that God would be pleased with good works….…as long as these good works are done in the right spirit and not done to bring credit to the one doing the good work. Some will do good works to enhance their own reputation….ie “…. To be seen by men…”. This is not pleasing to God and I not be surprised if God counts them as nothing.

I will comment on the other issues you raised later in the day…. Gotta go now.

TF

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”