Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Raspy

If you are referring to my discussion with mauser9mm, so who was discussing "Truth vs Belief"? Not us, and not any threads that I know of....and God did not enter on my part of the discussion....my conjecture was/is "evidence and proof are not the same" period.

Although what you state above is agreeable with me, it has nothing to do with mauser and my discussions....thanks for your input.[/quote
Faith in the existence of a God or gods is a belief. Having faith in the truth of something is a class of belief.

Belief may be based on faith or evidence. A justified belief - as opposed to faith - is justified through evidence, not faith.

The article gives a basic outline on justification.

I would like to add, the word faith often has a deeper meaning. Belief often refers to an intellectual acceptance of facts. If you ask the average person on the street if he believes in Alexander the Great or Abraham Lincoln, he would probably interpret the question to mean, “Do you believe that such a person existed?” Most, no doubt, would answer in the affirmative. However, faith, in modern usage, has the added idea of trust and commitment.

Illegitimi non carborundum