Originally Posted by DBT
What a load of Crock. I don't write the definitions given in dictionaries.
As it happens, there is a condition where people hold convictions without the support of evidence....which is why we say they have faith that their conviction is true.
Now, as we are talking about religion, which is a belief in any of a number of versions of God or gods, without the support of evidence, what do our dictionaries tell us?
faith
2: belief that is not based on proof: (He had faith that the hypothesis would be substantiated by fact.)
3: belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion.
Definition of faith
b- 1: firm belief in something for which there is no proof.
As anyone can see, these are not my definitions. It is not something I insist on, or how I ''understand it.''
This is just the definition of faith in relation to any belief that is held without the support of evidence.
As we have no evidence for the existence of any of the many versions of God or gods, to believe in these things is a matter of faith: as defined above.
You don't have a leg to stand on.
DBT, you may be familiar with those, but I don't deal in loads of Croc - that must happen only in OZ where Dundee chases 'em down.

And, I am not standing on anything - merely illuminating the disingenuous tactics you employ to sneak out from under heavy questions. I dare say that anyone on this thread leading a faith-based Christian life long ago became aware of the various and sometimes superfluous definitions of "faith:" as you cite them here. Most likely they also fathom and celebrate the unique and blessed nature of such a condition. And, by now, they probably also realize that you do not have even a notion of why and how one would so live. All is well - wander along.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron