Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by IZH27
In a thread last week at least two people mentioned good works. One professing that they did good works and the other quoting the book of James, intimating that a Christian is to be focused on doing good works.

It is undeniable that in American Christian Theology most churches teach good works, following the law/Ten Commandments, as a way to please God. This message is anchored in the idea that there is an impact on someone’s salvation and standing with God in direct relation to performing good works.

I have a question for those that hold this view. The question is based on the scriptural truth that there is no one on this earth who is righteous. This mornings responsive reading was from Psalms 143. The words drew my thoughts back to the statements made last week.

Psalm 143:2

[2] Enter not into judgment with your servant,
for no one living is righteous before you.

This confession of David, “a man after God’s own heart” and echoed throughout scripture, quite famously in Romans 3,

How are you guys who claim righteousness and or holiness, either primarily or secondarily, measuring it? What is the evidence or actions in your life by which you measure the claim?

Back in my pro-staffing days, I received email from a young fan. He and his buddy were looking for inside tips on how to get into the big time of hunting. They wanted to start their own cable show. I tried to explain that I was just a poor schlep writer who just happened to be good at writing for the outdoors. However, this guy was convinced I was holding back on him. The emails got angrier and he finally sent me a scathing manifesto and buggered off. This kind of reminded me of that episode.

I've said this many times before: Christianity is a joke. No, I don't mean it that way. Being a Christian is something you either get or you don't. Repeating the joke doesn't usually make things better, nor does explaining it.

As the Newsboys say:

Shine
Make 'em wonder what you've got
Make 'em wish that they were not
On the outside lookin' bored
Shine
Let it shine before all men
Let 'em see good works and then
Let 'em glorify the Lord

Good works are a natural effect of being under the influence of the Holy Spirit. It's not something you can force. Oh sure, you can donate your money to charities and work in a soup kitchen, but that's not what good works are all about. Good works generally work more serendipitously.

So how do you get there? How do you open up your heart to God? Prayer. Pray for God to come into your life. It's just that simple.

Mom always wanted me to be a Methodist minister. Instead, I spent 40 years in IT. Most of it was spent dealing with end-users. Let me tell you that opening myself up to God's Will and just letting it fly did more to help folks than most ministers find in a lifetime at the pulpit. Now that it's over, I find that is the one part of my career I miss the most.

There is no brass ring in this gig. Remember that our Savior got nailed to a cross. If you ever think you deserve entrance into Heaven, you're missing the point. You can't collect the whole set and redeem it for valuable prizes.

I appreciate you sharing your experience and I certainly don’t disagree. I’m just. It looking to go into a discussion of what good works are.

I started the thread to give an opportunity for the several who have brought up the “doing” of good works with the clear implication of “what we are to be about”. In my experience and based on observation the masses who claim faith in Christ end up espousing a faith that is anchored in a misrepresentation and misunderstanding what James is talking about. What I find is that the people who talk about “doing” are never willing or able to explain what they have done.

Based on what Jesus teaches in John 15 and what Paul teaches in Galatians those works that people claim that we are to “do” are not actually things that are done by us. They are done in spite of us.

If we examine the works that we view as ours it is likely that we need to repent of them because they are tainted by our sin and self interest.

I have high doubts that anyone will claim their righteous works and give us examples yet that view that nurtures that theology indicated that these same people will need to be able to stand in front of God and give an account of their works both good and bad. At the very least they might use this thread to practice up.